Online Conference on 20 years of Equality Bodies
Protecting and promoting equality as a fundamental value of the EU:
20th anniversary of the Race Equality Directive
On 29 June 2000, the Council of the EU adopted the Race Equality Directive (2000/43/EC). This ‘new generation’ equal treatment instrument extended legal protection against discrimination beyond the ground of gender. It revolutionised the equality infrastructure by requiring all Member States and candidate countries to designate national equality bodies to promote equal treatment and support victims of discrimination.
On 29 June 2020, an online event took place to celebrate its 20th anniversary. You can listen back to the conference here:
Following a welcome by Anne Gaspard, Equinet's Executive Director and Dražen Bošnjaković, Minister of Justice, Croatian Presidency of the Council of the European Union, speakers discussed how equality has evolved in the past 20 years, what barriers currently block citizens from equal opportunities in all aspects of their lives, and how we can improve the lives of Europeans in the future. Our high-level panellists were:
- Silvan Agius, Cabinet Expert, Cabinet of Commissioner for Equality Helena Dalli, European Commission
- Nikolina Brnjac, State Secretary, Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs, Croatia
- Evin Incir, MEP, Group of the Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats, Co-President of the Anti-Racism and Diversity Intergroup (ARDI)
- Tena Šimonović Einwalter, Chair, Equinet – European Network of Equality Bodies
- Karen Taylor, Chair, European Network Against Racism (ENAR)
- Jacques Toubon, Defender of Rights, France
- Michael O’Flaherty, Director, EU Agency for Fundamental Rights (video message)
Helena Dalli, European Commissioner for Equality, gave concluding remarks. Read her full speech here.
Equinet – European Network of Equality Bodies co-organised this event together with the European Commission, the General Secretariat of the Council of the EU and the Croatian Presidency of the Council of the EU. Read our joint statement on ''Protecting and promoting equality as a fundamental value of the EU: 20th anniversary of the Race Equality Directive''.